National Honor Society
The National Honor Society (NHS) is a national organization that recognizes and selects students that display excellence in the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Character, and Service.
NHS acknowledges not only recent accomplishments but also looks to further cultivate the Spirit of Excellence in all areas of students’ lives. The Glen Lake Chapter of the NHS places its primary emphasis on serving others, both in school and in the community. Members have many opportunities to volunteer their services throughout the year in a variety of organized events. It is our hope that their commitment to serving humanity extends beyond graduation and continues throughout their lives.
In order to become eligible for selection into the National Honor Society you must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Be a Sophomore, Junior, or Senior
- Maintain at least a cumulative GPA of 3.6. Selection is based on your current cumulative GPA following the second semester grades from the previous school year.
- Be involved in extra-curricular activities, school activities, and volunteer programs
- Have a documented history of involvement in community service organizations, both in and out of school. A minimum of 10 hours of documented community service time, in the previous year, is a requirement of students seeking membership. Examples of community service organizations in school are Big Pals, Project Heroes, Student Council, Students for World Awareness and Envirothon.
- Have a history of compliance with community, school and classroom expectations and making positive contributions to each
- Have a positive approach to learning and helping others
Once selected as a member of the NHS, you are a member for life. Involvement in NHS activities is looked highly upon when included on college applications or resumes for employment throughout one’s life.
Please contact the High School Principal for information.
Listed below are some of the activities NHS students may be involved in as part of their membership in the Glen Lake High School Chapter:
- Christmas visit to patients in the hospital
- Special Olympics
- Glen Arbor Chili Cook-off
- Habitat for Humanity Mother’s Day Brunch
- Blood Drives at school
- Senior Awards Night